About Adelphi Kitchens & Cabinetry
Adelphi Kitchens & Cabinetry was founded by four brothers in 1946 in a small garage behind their home. Today, their descendants own and manage the company and have more than 220 dealers across the nation, some dating back to the late fifties. With a work force of 120 skilled artisans, Adelphi produces approximately 60 custom kitchens each week in its modern 160,000-square-foot facility on 20-acres in Robesonia, Pa.
Adelphi Kitchens & Cabinetry began in 1946 as Yatron Brothers, a partnership between Paul and Nicholas Yatron. A year later, Stratton and Harry Yatron joined the business. The company started in a garage behind the Yatron family residence in Reading, Pennsylvania. In a short period of time the adjoining garage was added. The two garages served as a factory, sales room, and warehouse. Three moves were made within a four-year period at the end of which there were four partners and five employees.
After spending several years in the last location in Reading, a piece of undeveloped real estate on Lancaster Pike was purchased. The four brothers built their own factory, working weekends and evenings. Yatron Brothers remained at this factory from 1955 to 1962, and grew their work force to twelve employees. In 1962, a 40,000 square-foot factory in West Lawn, Pennsylvania was purchased.
Yatron Brothers was a diversified manufacturer engaged in the production of Formica and chrome dinette sets, commercial store fixtures, bars, booths, and back bars for restaurants and social clubs, institutional furniture for schools and college dormitories, and custom wood cabinets. In 1963, George Stewart, Chief Architect of the United States Capitol, selected Yatron Brothers to manufacture fifteen walnut display cases to display the memorabilia of various presidents of the United States. These display cases are still in use today. They can be seen on the ground floor of the rotunda of the Capitol building in Washington, D.C.
In the sixties, Yatron Brothers was slowly setting up a kitchen dealer network which established the main source of the company’s retail sales. Upon the development of this sales network, the name of the company was changed to Adelphi Kitchens, Inc. and Paul and Stratton Yatron purchased the shares of the other two partners.
Adelphi produced cabinets at the West Lawn location until 1984 when the company purchased the former Caron Spinning Mills in Robesonia, Pennsylvania. The Robesonia location boasts in excess of 160,000 square feet of production space on a 19½-acre tract. Today, the company has over 220 dealers nationwide – some going back to the late fifties – with the bulk of business being done east of the Mississippi. The factory produces sixty kitchens a week with a work force of about 120 people.
To learn more about Adelphi, visit their website at www.adelphikitchens.com.